Potential Diablo Character Vanity Challenge

Liquid_Evil

Diabloii.Net Member
Potential Diablo Character Vanity Challenge

Unnecessary Introduction (who are you and why do we care?)
Hello, SPF. I am Liquid Evil, and if the Single Player Forum was a living, breathing body, with Thyiad obviously as its cheekbones, Nightfish as its spine, and omgwtfbbq as the abs, I might have once been known as its style gland: its mucousy, engorged, style gland.

Pay no heed to those that claim I am but a brittle old dinosaur who has mostly relegated himself to lurking from the shadows in his dust-covered wheelchair. (Lest they forget that a geriatric raptor is still a raptor.)

I have created this thread to outline a new PvM brainchild where you have got to build a creative, fun, challenging character that meets all of the delicious surprise requirements.

Tell me more, Liq! Is this like a HC character tournament with lots of restrictions?
Mmmm…somewhat, but not really. This is for SC characters (though HC may participate, they get no special treatment), and the restrictions are much more vague and open-ended than those of the hard-lined HC tourneys. What I want to see are wild, original characters spawned from your own imagination only after a few gentle pushes. This is a challenge that is supposed to be a fun test of your creativity while giving you the chance to blow the dust off of some lesser-used items and skills.

What do you mean by “surprise requirements�
The requirements are threefold. First you have item and skill guidelines that might mandate that your character be wielding a specific item or item combination* throughout the game’s entirety (Stealskull, Angelic set chain mail, etc), or it might mean a specific skill usage or limitation (though it would be open-ended, like “Fire skill†or “Physically damaging skillâ€).

Then, there is the theme—the most important requirement. We want to see your own thoughtful interpretation of said theme. For example, if “Serpent†was the theme, you might create a Venom/Cobra Strike assassin named Crotalinae that wore Skin of Vipermagi and Snakecord throughout the game’s entirety…or a Venom Grip-sportin’ paladin named Rattlesnake that constantly purged himself of infected snakebite blood by using Smite and Cleansing as his main skills…So you see, it can be as weird or wild or dumb as you would like, as long as you can justify it and relate it back to the challenge theme. Think outside the box.

*If you don’t own any of the items to be used (there will be multiple selections, but you need only use one), then you can just use another item in that family. No Vampire Gaze to meet the requirement? No problem; just use a normal/magic/set/etc. Grim Helm of some sort.

What is the theme and items/skills to be used in this particular challenge?
It’s a surprise. If there’s enough interest in this, everyone will find out on the day it begins. (Or the day before. We’ll see.)

How long does it last?
You will have a predetermined amount of time to get as far as possible through the game on your way to pat/mat status. I’m thinking two weeks, but I’m open to feedback. Also, should this start after Xmas since December is such a busy month for most? Weigh in on this, but the challenge probably would start in January.

How do I win?
After the allotted time expires, you will be weighed and measured (and undoubtedly found wanting) by an illustrious panel of judges.

You will be encouraged to tell the tale of your character, where you made it in the game, and your thoughts regarding your interpretation of the challenge theme, and hopefully do so with some screenshots so the lusty, watchful lurkers can get their rocks off.

You can’t have a “Vanity Challenge†without the vanity, so of course my insatiable ego and I will be overseeing everything. I have the rest of the potential judges on a shortlist. If this idea takes off, I’ll let you know who will be presiding to my left and right in the courtroom of pwn. We will judge based on this set of criteria:

Level: You get 1 point for each level. No multiplayer leeching. (1-99)
Adherence to the surprise item/skill requirements: (1-100) (basically an ‘all or none’ score…)
Theme: You get an average of the judges’ theme scores. Does your char’s name, gear, skills, style, stats, go with the theme? Did you justify your interpretation of the theme in your brief write-up? Did you post at least 1 screenshot? (1-100)
Creativity and Originality: You get an average of the judges’ creativity scores. Is your character much different from the other entrants’? Did you think outside the box? (1-50)
*These numbers might be tweaked based on the feedback I receive in this thread.

What do I win?
The top 3 point-scorers are considered the winners and will receive bragging rights. Everyone else is a loser. For one entire week following the challenge, all losers must wear ugly dog head avatars so that the rest of the forum may be reminded of their hideous shaming in this first Vanity Challenge. Can you handle your own eventual/inevitable public shaming? If you’ve read this far and still haven’t clicked the back button, you just might have what it takes to compete to potentially dazzle the SPF with your character creativity.

Use this thread to post your interest and feedback. Does January work well for everyone? Any other thoughts or great additions to make this even better?

tl:dr- Liq is back (sort of) and he has a challenge idea. You should totally sign up. You’re not a chicken are ya? Are ya??

Krupa

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Potential Diablo Character Vanity Challenge

i´m drunk so this might be the reason this sounds tempting. i´ll report back once i´m sober.
january is good for me though

Drystan

Diabloii.Net Member

I read the whole thing, but prefer the tl:dr part.

Welcome back!

Can I have a Diamond dog head?

I'll have to review it, as I quickly skimmed over it, and probably skipped some important detail, but sounds interesting.

coju

Diabloii.Net Member

I want shinies. I'm in.

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Member

I wanna beat Coju. I'm in :loving:

Serdash

Diabloii.Net Member

If I have any internet access come January, you can bet your sweet *** I'm in.

It will be recorded, 100%, and slapped on youtubes for all of the internet to see.

EDUT:

Also, I assume a theme is given to us? We don't pick our own?

EDUT ONE MO' AGAIN:
Hello, SPF. I am Liquid Evil, and if the Single Player Forum was a living, breathing body, with Thyiad obviously as its cheekbones, Nightfish as its spine, and omgwtfbbq as the abs, I might have once been known as its style gland: its mucousy, engorged, style gland.
I see not my name in there.

I am disappoint.

Last edited:

Grisu

Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome back! Missed the style around the SPF the last few months! *brown-nose*

This sounds like the Liq-Awesomness I'm used to *more brown-nosing* so count me in!

btw, this isn't single pass then, is it?

EDIT: And do we have to be nekkid until we can equip our style gear?

NacRuno

Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I am in. No better way to resume demon hunting with some Liq guidance for style.

Liquid_Evil

Diabloii.Net Member

People that have signed in blood:
Drixx
coju
Kitteh
Serdash
Grisu
NacRuno

People that have shown interest, but have not yet fully accepted their destiny:
Krupa
Drystan
Kestegs
Jason

Jason said:
This challenge is beneath me...
And you will not be faulted for believing that. I know that not everyone has the style and imagination necessary for this challenge, just as I know that not everyone has the cajones to let go of their mother’s apron and cartwheel out into the sunshine. A tentative spot will be kept open just for you.

Serdash said:
Also, I assume a theme is given to us? We don't pick our own?
It will be a surprise, preselected theme so that the judges will have a benchmark on how to score you.

Serdash said:
I see not my name in there.

I am disappoint.
As if the SPF’s left cankle needed any introduction.

Grisu said:
btw, this isn't single pass then, is it?

EDIT: And do we have to be nekkid until we can equip our style gear?
I am a ‘big picture’ guy and hate lots of rules, so there will be no single pass restrictions. Because this will only run for 2 weeks, I don’t want to limit where people choose to farm experience to gain levels. Similarly, you won’t be required to run naked. As long as you reach the required level the don the required item (and actually wear it), you should be gravy. I don’t want to box you in with overly rigid rules so for hardcore badasses like yourself, this should be easy-peezy. ;)

kestegs

D3 Monk Moderator

Wow, I didn't realize what a sorry bunch I was lumping myself in with!

You can put me in as a solid.

Pyrohemia

Diabloii.Net Member

If I wasn't expecting to be busy in January I would hereby pledge the following:
To make a naked, fist wielding, fanatic zealot named Don_Quixote and record a screenshot of him dying to each and every type of monster in the game.
Dieing to a blood hawk nest would be a challenge, but would still be possible by finding a holy shock/ holy fire aura enchanted unique.

As it is I could volunteer to be a very biased (read bribeable) judge of character style.

Grisu

Diabloii.Net Member

Wow! Lots of people entering! :thumbsup:

I hope I get the kestegs theme: Only green equipment and 200% FCR for faster spamming!

@Pyrohemia: well, it would be hard to find a chubby squire to hire as a merc...(barb merc???) :rolleyes: And you'd need to have a 2nd character as a "mule" *knee-slapper*

humbuggerer

Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm.. this interests me and I should have more time coming up...
But first I want to ***** about the rules a little.

1. Points for leveling?? I'm not sure I understand why. Shouldn't something like this have a chance to win? I guess if levels count as a measure of the character's viability, it makes some sense.

2. I personally would prefer more than two weeks... maybe include the week between Christmas and New year?

3. That might be it, actually. :badteeth:

Liquid_Evil

Diabloii.Net Member

1. Points for leveling?? I'm not sure I understand why. Shouldn't something like this have a chance to win? I guess if levels count as a measure of the character's viability, it makes some sense.
Well, the character level won't influence the points too heavily since there are a lot of other points to be won based on creativity/theme/etc. but I think the clvl of a character is a good barometer for how effective the character was throughout the game. This challenge is about making something cool/creative/inspiring and you don't need a lvl 30 naked, statless, Wirt's leg-wielding zealot paladin to do that...there are HC tourneys for that, and this is something different. I want to see a fresh, innovative, yet (at least somewhat) viable, effective chars, not something that only serves as a testament to a player's patience.

And your vote for longer than 2 weeks is duly noted, but I'm leery to use the week between xmas and New Years. I'll wait for more feedback, but my original line of thinking was that these would be quick challenges with not a lot of prep time so that we could see what you were capable of creating on the fly with no time to over-think the character.

Pyrohemia

Diabloii.Net Member

Was this supposed to be twinked or untwinked? Naked twinked is very different from naked untwinked. ;)

One of the above I would never get out of the cold plains.

Liquid_Evil

Diabloii.Net Member

Was this supposed to be twinked or untwinked? Naked twinked is very different from naked untwinked. ;)
The idea was originally more twink-oriented, but I didn't want to specify. I don't want to stifle creativity or how you normally play. Obviously, you'll need to twink at least a couple of items as per the requirements, and it also may be easier to net a specific theme with certain items from your stashes, but in the end it's up to you. I'd assume most would twink though.