2019 Spring RFL Sign-Up and Running Thread: 1st Round

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
@Luhkoh Now that I played around with the RF Calc a bit more I gotta say, fantastic job. Love how you can compare numbers in every area, and see which character needs to deliver what result in order to beat a certain other runner. I'll use it often in the following weeks for sure. Thanks again! :)

With more tests I could say that for fireball sorc AS is like killing 140-150 p5 cows per minute which is like a build killing 400 cows in 2:46. That's better than I thought it will be. I don't think CS can match those numbers.
Yeah AS is going to be hard to beat for areas round, though it will be interesting to compare CS with seal trick method. Don't really feel like another round with Java, which is hard to even get close to for AS running. So I'm leaning towards CS, would like to play Hammerdin again and also include some MF. But I hope many players go for AS with various runners, last year the only builds somewhat tested were Java and lightning-based Sorcs.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
@ffs
I think Java should be best character for AS running. I might give her a try although I really like how I find an excuse to use fireball sorc for something else than PvP :D

LongingForDeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Isn't Arcane Sanctuary kinda problematic with the ghosts often hovering over the void, resulting in no drops at all when you kill them? Sure, you can herd them, but they are rather slow moving and typically approach the narrow path in a rather flat angle.

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
That was my initial thought as well last year, but it really doesn't take a lot of practice to reduce that to a minimum. The fact that they move slowly is rather a good thing as long as you kill fast enough and with proper positioning. I found most important aspect is standing in the middle of "crossings" instead of in their vicinity in the alleys – that's when they try to shortcut towards you over the voids.

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
@ffs absolutely! I’m glad you’re getting some use out of it! I had fun making it.

@art_vandelay my spreadsheet also has a correct countess calc ;) at least to the best of my knowledge. I was also going to put up a post just for her post 1.13b odds but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Here's the link.

EDIT: I think we can also calc duriel/andariel odds accurately too if needed. The whole 7 picks truncated to 6 thing makes it tough, but I did it in a way that took that into account for diablo in my RF sheet (which is overkill but was fun to figure out). Learned it from @drmalawi 's youtube series. So let me me know if you have any ideas or other stuff you want to see calc'd art, but you seem like you do a lot of this too. Glad you joined the forum!

Last edited:

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Yooooo.

I made another video demonstration to answer the following question: how important is Blizzard damage for sorc to run Travincal? Video shows sorceress wearing Hoto, Vipermagi and Griffon's (to boost Static damage) and total of 7k Blizzard damage running Travincal in 16.7 seconds. Players can improve their gear by socketing cold facets, Shako can be used instead of Griffon's and so on. I used random rare ring to be able to equip flail Hoto, otherwise dual SoJ.

Comparatively, sorc with 15.7k Blizzard damage is only 7% faster than this sorc. So, how influental is Blizzard damage for running? 93% is map and technique, 7% is damage. This is why I said once sorc gets to 10k damage range it is really hard to see a difference when more damage is added at expense of safety. This budget sorc is super safe runner and she can easily get to sub 20s running even when picking plenty of stuff with the right map and running technique.

Anyway, hopefully this video will be inspirational for players

art_vandelay

Diabloii.Net Member
@Luhkoh Of course I know your sheet, it's a great resource ;) I have already done a calc of sorts for Andariel/Mephisto/Diablo/Baal and it can simulate lower player settings than p7. In fact the way you implemented the p7 drop for Diablo is exactly how you would implement it for any monster that has positive number of picks but no more than 6.

The problem with lower psettings and bosses is that you get more 6 item drops than the usual approach would predict because of the potential 7th drop that can fill out the 6 item drop for the boss. I figured out the probabilites for the 4 bosses mentioned above, but for Duriel I can only predict p7 because his 'Main TC/Base TC' system is hard to model.

I can send you the sheet and explain what I did if you want ;)

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
@art_vandelay Absolutely! I'll start a pm so we don't fill up the thread, but yeah I love this stuff. I probably wont be able to investigate much till after the weekend is over, but I'll look forward to it.

Babyhell

Diabloii.Net Member
Yooooo.

I made another video demonstration to answer the following question: how important is Blizzard damage for sorc to run Travincal? Video shows sorceress wearing Hoto, Vipermagi and Griffon's (to boost Static damage) and total of 7k Blizzard damage running Travincal in 16.7 seconds.
Those amu and BKWB ! Snowclash use is nice too, level of Blizzard must be huge ! For now my setup cannot set me higher than 5k, but i didn't try with Vipermagi, i'll give a try in the coming days for sure !

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah. It's not de facto budget gear as those items are quite ridiculous, but I was lazy to replace things I wear to be truly budget. I wanted to demonstrate the influence of damage on running. For other stuff I do expect players to use best gear they have available. Dual SoJ does beat my ring combo from the video since mana is nice. Resists are overkill and those can be reduced too.

EDIT
And Infinity obviously is not exactly budget. This just shows how powerful runeword is and why it must be made ASAP once Enigma is finished. Players who don't have Infinity can stick to either Insight and rolling map where Toorc is inside of the building, or they can try barb with dual Grief. In the end some basics are needed to do this kind of running, no way around it.

Last edited:

art_vandelay

Diabloii.Net Member
@Gripphon I wouldn't consider your setup to be budget either, but your point still stands. I can do 25s with HotO, Ormus (15/Ice Blast), Shako, 2 skillers, one +1 BKWB, Mara's instead of craft, Snowclash and Infinity on merc. That's about 5800 average screen dmg.

I feel that's a much more reasonable 'poor man's ' equip, especially when it comes to the # of skillers used. (which won't have life if you're poor ;) )

Try removing all but two skillers next :p

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
@Gripphon Great demonstration of what is (not) required in terms of gear with the perfect map. Now the question is how long does it take to roll it. After about 3 hours I had to stop. :D There's still some time before R2 starts but it seems incredibly hard to find something like that.

But as far as I'm concerneced I'm good to go for Travincal with the map posted above. Now to tackle the Hammerdin for R3. ;)

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Isn't Arcane Sanctuary kinda problematic with the ghosts often hovering over the void, resulting in no drops at all when you kill them? Sure, you can herd them, but they are rather slow moving and typically approach the narrow path in a rather flat angle.
What @ffs said. I tried it last year, and it's not an issue really. I found AS to be a lot of fun too.

Babyhell

Diabloii.Net Member
Just a nooby question: for round 3, what does "Areas" stands for ? Any area of our choice, a set of predefined areas in which we pick, a set we have to run each time..? So i can start to think about the char that will be - or shall rise - for that round :)

Babyhell

Diabloii.Net Member
Thx Lukoh !

I may try the CS Vizier team, maybe with hammerdin, or sorc...my blizzard sorc shall work there, i have to try. I'm probably going to learn more about locations and efficient chars soon from you all anyway ;)