2019 Spring RFL Sign-Up and Running Thread: 1st Round

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Don't be discouraged, instead use the video demonstrations as basis to improve own running. In earlier days there were no great video demonstrations to learn from and knowledge was much lower, limits of the game were unknown or very underestimated. I wanted to show what is possible to do with the right conditions and how to achieve the right conditions.

To win you have to have luck, not super efficient running. Winning odds of 23s sorc is almost as high as of 16s sorc in top 5 runes format.

To compare barb with sorc, divide his runtimes with this number:

(Hork% * 1.11) +1

We could include the fact cold damage from Reaper's shatters one corpse in x runs, but this is for general comparison.

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks guys lot's of very helpful stuff

@zemaj ctc amp rare is a very interesting idea. I think it would take too much time to proc and lack of slow and dr compared to decrep would make lawbringer merc might be a better option, but I'll have to test it soon! Maybe I don't quite understand the chilling mechanics. If the lawbringer merc hits an enemy and procs decrep, then they'll be chilled (and for a long time as compared to reapers), but whether they are killed by the merc or myself, they should have a 20% chance of shattering correct? So I don't think a lower dmg base would help, but the only lawbringer i have current made is in a phase plade, so if it is an advantage I have that to use.

I really was thinking the oath lawbringer frenzy barb would be a good idea since i get decrep and might, but I ran some numbers on it this morning, and it looks to me to be the worst option since the lawbringer dmg is just too low. So I'll definitely spec to ww and give it a go, and worst case scenario is it doesn't work and he's parked till reapers.

@T72on1 I'm definitely starting to agree decrep will be 100% necessary. I'll try out a lawbringer merc, and shouldn't lose anything if it doesn't work well since he'll be ready to resume his council battle when reapers is found. If I can't get him to safeish sub 80s runs, I'll definitely go your route and use the blizzy. I had quested a necro thinking I could do an inefficient round 1 with him, predictably figuring out it was terrible with no cta/enigma, and so I ended up using blizz sorc for all of round 1. If I end up having to do the exact same procedure for round 2 that will be fine and I'll still have fun, but I don't want to, and that's why I'm motivated to make a less efficient barb work. And after finding the bases in round 1, I do have dual oath for the barb... but they rolled 202 and 234 -.- haha further making this a challenge. I will be hitting meph up all next week, so I may find reapers, but don't feel I can count on having it by start of round 2.

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
I finished my set! Score has been sent, not it's time to really get down to running Eleanor and see if I can shift some gear around to lower her times a bit. So far I'm still hanging around 18-19s if I'm not too picky with drops.

Here's a video from a couple RFLs back for those interested, and still holds pretty true.

Best of luck to everyone in this round and the next! Looking forward to the results thread. :)

TheGuardianXXXIII

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll probably be running Trav w/ my pNova necro again. He's just so much better than all my other characters at killing clumps of enemies fast. My barb if i respec'd him to WW could be a good one, but i really don't want to lose his maps to respec, as he's a pretty beastly pit zerker right now. Unfortunately i don't have any spare chars to reroll maps with. I suppose i could respec my Meteorb Tals sorc and go for a blizz sorc... but i've never played a blizz sorc so i don't know if i'd want to go into an RFL completely new to a character.

art_vandelay

Diabloii.Net Member
My Travincal performance is already a lot better now! However that +8 Steelshade and no CBF is really noticable on the merc, especially when I lose damage because I use Goldfind Equip.

I've thought about socketing the Steelshade with a Vex (not available yet) since I don't have a Cham and I would think twice about Cham'ing a +8 Steelshade. Are there any other good options I'm not seeing? (Maybe Gladiator's with a Ral?)

From a pure damage reduction perspective Steelshade 'Vex' is better than the Cham version, but only slightly. Using this excellent post by onderduiker I made a little Hydra Damage Calc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18AlDUJ14IRFWpgraX179KfTAZ2moY3h-eDr1Pn8VY0E/edit?usp=sharing

It's pretty insane how strong the Steelshade and Kira's Guardian Angel Setups actually are compared to other options.

Ghonn

Diabloii.Net Member
Finally done and results pm'd. Also died on the final run (umpteenth time, though) and decided that was the sign for me to quit. Maybe twenty secods short of 20 hours.

Aaaaah I am relieved! :D

zemaj

Diabloii.Net Member
Maybe I don't quite understand the chilling mechanics. If the lawbringer merc hits an enemy and procs decrep, then they'll be chilled (and for a long time as compared to reapers), but whether they are killed by the merc or myself, they should have a 20% chance of shattering correct? So I don't think a lower dmg base would help, but the only lawbringer i have current made is in a phase plade, so if it is an advantage I have that to use.
The low damage 'Lawbringer' was about the merc never killing his target, hopefully meaning he never targets more than one council, so he doesn't chill more than one or two per run, reducing shattered corpses. As I said, this really hinges on AI not getting pulled around by char movements as well. Also his Bash skill will Knockback, so it may all be a moot point... maybe hire the act5 merc in Hell difficulty so he will have lesser chance of using Bash (incidentally, I do this anyway as I want him using standard Attack, which as mentioned, hits twice per animation)

LongingForDeath

Diabloii.Net Member
And that's me done with batch 2 and this round - and cows for a while. I'm glad I managed to complete the Cow King's set by finding the Horns towards the end of my 2nd batch, so I don't have to go back in there in MP games to repeatedly kill the king with my sorc, as I did before my hiatus and restart. Also got lots of crafting materials out of this round, so that's a plus, too.

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the results so far, I've now received 20 PMs, and we have around 30 players. Some are still playing, but if you're finished please sen me the results ASAP :)

It will be really really interesting to read through all these messages!

Looking for the next round much already! Sign-up and running thread will be up this weekend.

ArtOfSenf

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll probably be running Trav w/ my pNova necro again. He's just so much better than all my other characters at killing clumps of enemies fast. My barb if i respec'd him to WW could be a good one, but i really don't want to lose his maps to respec, as he's a pretty beastly pit zerker right now. Unfortunately i don't have any spare chars to reroll maps with. I suppose i could respec my Meteorb Tals sorc and go for a blizz sorc... but i've never played a blizz sorc so i don't know if i'd want to go into an RFL completely new to a character.
Blizzard sorc for trav is super easy to get used to in my opinion, so I wouldn't be too concerned about this. Since you basically use 2 skills (not counting teleport and buffs) it's extremely easy to get going and with a reliable spawn it's a no-brainer to run.

Give it a try!

Reactions: Zyr

Babyhell

Diabloii.Net Member
Blizzard sorc for trav is super easy to get used to in my opinion, so I wouldn't be too concerned about this. Since you basically use 2 skills (not counting teleport and buffs) it's extremely easy to get going and with a reliable spawn it's a no-brainer to run.

Give it a try!
I can confirm it's kinda no brain, but you need some damage...i could get mine to 5k+ at lvl 80, 4 skillers - can add two plain or with useless stats, with a mix tal set parts/Hoto spirit/WT/cta spirit on switch. Maybe i should at least go LK running a bit to get an Infinity to be efficient enough - too squishy and low for p3 for now, or at least i don't feel it as i can with the barb...

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, I ran like crazy and managed just over 19 hours. Close enough... Pretty disgusted with my score though, that was some messed up RNG this time around. I'll start training for 14s Travincal runs now. ;)

Drop quality aside, I was happy to get back to some D2 action after 3 months cold turkey! And boy Java is fun running cows with. Really happy I decided to make that current setup of hers last year. Run times were averaging just under 2m40s in the end when running with peak concentration. Regarding efficiency, here's what the different counting approaches suggested as kills per minute:

XP gain method: ~162 (P7), ~182 (P5).
Rune drop method: ~178 (P7), ~200 (P5).

More detailed version:

Screenshot 2019-04-05 at 01.26.49.png

The numbers are based on the following sample sizes:
  • 198 runs of counting rune drops
  • 18 runs of tracking XP gain and run times
  • 20 runs of counting boss/champion packs
  • 20 runs of killing Rakanishu to get average XP provided (makes it easier to use XP method)
  • 10 runs of counting kills of bosses and champions in recordings
For the further tests I adjusted the XP method a little and subtracted fewer monsters than earlier. That's because the rune drop method continued to suggest more kills than what is suggested by XP gain method. I thought it could be due to extra drops from champions/bosses (which I didn't take into account with rune drop method), so I wanted to count how many of them I usually kill.

So I recorded and reviewed 10 runs. I realized that, on the contrary, I actually skip way more champions and bosses than I had thought. In fact I killed only ~40% of the bosses and ~25% of the champions in these runs. That explains a good part of the different results across the two counting methods. For minions I have no way of knowing for sure, but based on those 10 reviewed runs and skipping isolated packs, I think 80% is a pretty good estimate.

Rune method still suggests more kills than XP method. It could either be too high due to drop variance, or the XP method number could be a little low because I kill less than 80% of minions. Maybe somewhere in between? :rolleyes:

I should also note that I ended up skipping the cow king altogether. Like @Gripphon observed, if the portal spawns near him, there are no regular cows directly around him. So even though he can safely be hit with Java, more often than not it's just his 8 minions, which isn't really worth it on its own.

I think I pretty much reached my limits with Cow Java. Don't think I can improve her much in terms of gameplay or gear (apart from some "nice to have" secondary stats)... Next RFL cow round I'll probably go with another character. :)

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
In the same vein as @peytron I decided to try to get at least 15 hours with the javazon. She just got a little more than an hour to hit 15 hours exactly, and I'm done. Results sent.

Best non-qualifier (recall, she's untwinked) was a second Titans:
Cows (Titans).jpg
At +180% damage, a significant upgrade over the first set (163). Next best as 27% RJoF that replaced Ral in the merc's Andy's:
Cows (RJoF used).jpg
Other useful finds were [email protected] Shimmering GC (which will be handy) and a [email protected] Mara's. Aside from that, I will echo @T72on1 and @Gripphon that it's all about RNG, and mine was, um, less than stellar :p Not even a full set of qualifiers, just as a teaser . . .

Good luck to any others who are still running. Looking forward to the results!

Edit: And it was fun to catch up on the posts over the last several days. Limited time available has gone to playing, so I hadn't kept up. Great videos, theorycrafting, and trolling ;)

Last edited:

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
@Shuffleblast That Fungal GC of Vita !!! :eek::eek::eek: The Ravenfrost isn't shabby either.

@ffs Crazy that you still managed almost a full set !!

@Babyhell Infinity only matters for the CI Council members (Toorc, sometimes 1 other), for the rest your CM should get the enemy down to max -res. So it's important, but not that much of a deal breaker. It also won't help with being squishy. That is mostly a matter of you and especially the merc being too low level. So your best bet is to do some /p8 Pindle runs until you have gained some levels, say level 87+ or so.

It's over here in France. Disclosure waiting next evening if some other people still have time in their countries... already Grape told me i was in top 30 :cool:
Or close to...
Just to make sure: don't post anything about your qualifiers here, even after the RFL is over for everyone. Only do so when Grape has posted the results, and do so in that thread.

I mainly seem to have noticed posts about people saying they had absolutely horrible luck. Trolling and as such a few 100+ scores confirmed ;). Looking forward to the results. Come on people, pm them to Grape, so we can have our ranking already !!!

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Btw, I'm looking into doing round 2 with several characters. For example I might test out my Icezon there. She has a hard time getting her resists up though. Would it be possible to run Travincal with bad or even negative resists with a 1.07 LoH? Or isn't that enough?

Other characters I'm considering are Novamancer and WW Barb (I want to make one at some point, but for now I think I can respec one of my existing). I don't think any of the three mentioned will come close to my Blizz Sorc, but it might be a nice change of pace.

Babyhell

Diabloii.Net Member
I guess i can wait until sunday ;) just have to set the videos public, so i can reveal my io io ort tal thul drops !

Last edited: