2019 Spring RFL Sign-Up and Running Thread: 1st Round

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
@sir_cyclops
I will include budget setups in mat thread, although not before weekend. Hoto, Shako, Vipermagi and usual stuff is enough to make fast running. With sorc it's almost all in the map. I can do sub 20s running with 5k blizzard sorc on my map to give an idea how important map actually is.

@T72on1
Because of combination of perfect Fathom, Blizzard Ormus and Nightwing's. They give % cold damage which scales it into the sky. Not to mention I use 9 skillers because I'll pick up only unique rings, amulets and jewels.

For standard running I'd still favor typical Fathom/Shako/CoH ( or Vipermagi) combo. This one is only for low profit style of GIEBMEALLCHAMS. You guys will get good charms and jewels, I'll get likely nothing except rocks.

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
@Gripphon big question I never see addressed directly. Is budget blizzy worth messing with without infinity? Could I for example get 25s runs at 10/11 efficiency pretty easy (from leaving toorc). If so, that might be better than my barb I'm planning on using.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
@Gripphon big question I never see addressed directly. Is budget blizzy worth messing with without infinity? Could I for example get 25s runs at 10/11 efficiency pretty easy (from leaving toorc). If so, that might be better than my barb I'm planning on using.
To be honest, I don't know the answer. I think it depends where is Toorc positioned. If he is in front of everyone, he will block all your spells except Blizzard. If he is behind, then, in theory, sorc should kill everyone else very fast. Without Infinity I wouldn't bother casting Static Field, but I'd spam Glacial after Blizzard to kill faster. Or maybe even some fancy combination with Frost Nova. Just an idea which I didn't test.

If barb has dual Grief, then he is in theory better than sorc can be without Infinity.

Babyhell

Diabloii.Net Member
Omfg i'm around 1'10 with barb, even if it's not the same map and i take some time for horking...will have to reroll for better map !!!

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I used to run with Insight and skip Torc. I have had maps where he spawned inside, while the rest spawned on the balcony. So 10/11 25s runs are definitely possible.

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
@Gripphon and if you have none of grief, infinity, enigma, but are determined to participate in round 2 at all costs? :p
@T72on1 sounds like that's the way to go then, though I was hoping to use the barb for something rather than blizz sorc all the time.

I'll probably experiment with both still just to see what I can do. So let's "pretend" I didn't make grief or enigma from my massive round 1 haul, but still want to see what I can do with the barb (I might consider doing the round with him with runs over a minute, but prob not with runs over 1:30). I also do not have reapers. Possible? Impossible?

Is lawbringer worth considering? Or is the higher cold dmg as compared to reapers just a deal breaker for barb? If it is worth considering at all, I was going to ask if a lawbringer a5 merc for decrepify might be better even with forgoing the might aura. However I would imagine in this case it would be better to go frenzy with lawbringer+oath and use a might merc. Any thoughts on this?

And if the answer is lawbringer is awful from just too much freeze length, then will the barb killing at half speed (from no decrepify) be too big a deal when the runs are already long from no enigma? Thought about trying out a zealot as well, but he would have no cta so I imagine would feel too squishy, and would a frenzy barb really be worse than zealot when he has FI?

Anyways I'm sure the "correct" answer is hit LK like a madman next week, but I'll just try and enjoy my undergeared attempts at participating since I (hope I) will be geared enough for decent setups next year. So it's kind of a fun challenge that I doubt I'll ever have to mess with again.

art_vandelay

Diabloii.Net Member
New tests show that map is completely irrelevant for running:

I really don't know why OBS cut off the part where I show off my items! Doesn't matter, all you need to know: 20k damage :cool:

Friiser

Diabloii.Net Member
I noticed Grip did have two beta BKWB for rings, each one with a +2 to skills, and the +to life is a bonus :), and those boots are ridiculous.

jjscud

Diabloii.Net Member
@jjscud on the first link, on the left side, did you mean “runes to drop” instead of “HRs to drop”?

Edit: also, clearing drops doesn’t work for me. For debugging info, I’m in safari on iPhone.
The left should say HRs to Drop. It will run sequences of drops until it finds a rune as high or higher than specified below. It will repeat this the number of times in the top box and tell you the average number of runes it dropped before finding a rune as high or higher than the specified rune. Below it will also list the runes 'dropped' on the last test set.

The clearing does work, its not meant to clear the page, just clear the memory so the next test is fresh. I.E. if I run the test straight runes drop on the right for 200 runes 5 times, the results are for 1000 rune drops.

peytron

Diabloii.Net Member
My Friends,

If you did a grind through almost all your allocated set time without a decent drop, do not despair. There is still time remaining to finish your set, the RNG gods may reward you handsomely!

zemaj

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll probably experiment with both still just to see what I can do. So let's "pretend" I didn't make grief or enigma from my massive round 1 haul, but still want to see what I can do with the barb (I might consider doing the round with him with runs over a minute, but prob not with runs over 1:30). I also do not have reapers. Possible? Impossible?

Is lawbringer worth considering? Or is the higher cold dmg as compared to reapers just a deal breaker for barb? If it is worth considering at all, I was going to ask if a lawbringer a5 merc for decrepify might be better even with forgoing the might aura. However I would imagine in this case it would be better to go frenzy with lawbringer+oath and use a might merc. Any thoughts on this?

And if the answer is lawbringer is awful from just too much freeze length, then will the barb killing at half speed (from no decrepify) be too big a deal when the runs are already long from no enigma? Thought about trying out a zealot as well, but he would have no cta so I imagine would feel too squishy, and would a frenzy barb really be worse than zealot when he has FI?

Anyways I'm sure the "correct" answer is hit LK like a madman next week, but I'll just try and enjoy my undergeared attempts at participating since I (hope I) will be geared enough for decent setups next year. So it's kind of a fun challenge that I doubt I'll ever have to mess with again.
Travbarb is doable with budget gear. I started mine with dual 'Oath' + 'Duress' with a Naj's Puzzler on switch until I got 'Grief's & 'Enigma'. It's not optimal, but doing so helped me get those RWs, definitely. TBH though, I already had Reaper's at that point, so I'm not sure about how anything else works, aside from theorycraft... which I happen to have oodles of ;)

A polearm/spear of a good basetype with CtC Amp, 40%IAS, & 2os could potentially be a workable substitute. Could even be a rare, or ethereal (or both :rolleyes:), and have damage worth mentioning, but really that is secondary consideration to being fast and providing curse. Has the benefit of maintaining Might Aura as well. Also, wouldn't have cold damage to worry about (hopefully...). Biggest limiter is attack speed, as the Amp proc is only 5%, and area is tiny, so you would want it going off as fast and often as possible. That said, Amp would be better than Decrep, in theory...

Never tried the barb merc with 'Lawbringer' at Trav, but I am a huge fan of that route on my Windy! Good thing is barb mercs normal attack hits twice for every animation, so with less focus on IAS he should still proc Decrep pretty quick. I could see the cold damage being an issue, but I think you could minimize it by making the 'Lawbringer' in a low damage or even just normal base. That way he rarely even kills the one, and hopefully would stay engaged with that one, while still triggering Decrep. Problem with that would be the barb's AI, which is much more sensitive to the characters movements (ime), so he may not stick on the one and have half the Council frozen. Also, lack of Might Aura may nerf damage too much, especially considering lack of 'Grief'...

peytron

Diabloii.Net Member
Okay now the game is just taunting me. Less than an hour left on the clock:
Screenshot094.jpg

I guess the RNG gods have a sense of humour. At least it is a grailer.

WoRG

Diabloii.Net Member
Finally managed to squeeze out the last few runs...glad I did, got a nice qualifier, hadn't seen one in almost 8 hours...

I thought I was looking forward to round two, but...16 seconds? Damn, thats fast.... dunno if hork can make up for that sorta speed...

WoRG

Babyhell

Diabloii.Net Member
To be around the same perf with a 50% hork, how fast a barb should be ? Guess it is around 16s+8s bonus time due to horking additional drops ?

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
@Luhkoh I'd think that the Decrep is essential in Travincal, not only for damage output, but also for safety, both for you and the merc. So I suspect that Lawbringer will be the way to go, probably best on your merc in that case, if you can have at least dual Oath on your Barb.

For efficiency a budget Blizz Sorc will be much better though. Like I said in one of my previous posts, I ran Travincal with an Insight merc for a very long time. It means you'll have to leave at least Toorc and sometimes a second member untouched, but that would still be much faster and more efficient than the Barb with the gear you have, I'd think. The gear for the Sorc shouldn't be too hard to scramble together. What's more important, is that you have ways to keep your merc alive there. Steel Shade helm, or Guardian Angel / Kira's combo, or even Reaper's if that is what it takes to keep him alive.

As for the Sorc, I'm not sure what you have, but there are a lot of combos possible.

Also don't forget that, even though /p3 is the best setting to run the Council, if you are struggling too much at that setting, it might be worth it to tune down to /p1. That could save you a lot of issues as well.

@art_vandelay Nice map for a case where all members are inside the building. But I'd still reroll until you have one where they all spawn on the left side of the left balcony.

@all Gripphgod is definitely back. Inhuman runs, and some nifty trolling on top of it. Don't let him misguide you. No mortal can play D2 as fast as he can. But fear not: it's all in the RNG in the end. And RNG is where we'll beat him, with the blessing of the ZodGod ;).

Seriously people, don't focus too much on that run times. It will drive you nuts. We have a few people here who can do sub 20s runs. Trust me, they couldn't in their earlier days either, when they didn't have the knowledge, skill and gear they do now. I admire them a lot for what they can achieve, but try to focus on my own possibilities. If I can improve on my own run times and run technique in general, I'm happy, even if it means I'm still slower then the top runners here. Watch their videos, try to learn from them, but only from a 'I'm trying to improve myself' point of view, not from a 'I want that Ferrari to replace my BMW' point of view.

Also, their faster run times mean that statistically they have higher chances to find the qualifiers and win the round. But in the end, and I can't stress this enough, don't underestimate the factor luck. When I won last year's round 1, I hit 4:00 min avg runs, maybe even a little bit slower, while the fastest runners do 2:30 - 2:50. But the runes kept on dropping, and more important: the quality of the runes was very high. A Lo and Ohm didn't even make it into my top 5. And quality > quantity is definitely true for this type of competition, where only top 5 counts. For comparison (a little spoiler, but not too much), this year I found 3 more qualifiers than last year. But I'm not even close to last year's score. Which is no surprise obviously, you don't find two Zods every single time ;). But just to show: it's all quality of drops that matters, and luck plays a big role in this.

So keep the faith, don't let Gripphon's posts discourage you to such an extent that you already want to give up. He likes some good old trolling, the problem is that his 16s run videos aren't even part of that, but just the plain truth. But even then, we can beat him, and all other Travbots out there. With the blessing of the ZodGod, we can. We do have that blessing, right? o_O

art_vandelay

Diabloii.Net Member
@T72on1 Yeah the fact that they spawn close together is the one redeeming quality of that map! It's also the map she had when I put the equip onto her, so I won't complain about it :D

Luckily I had the foresight to rush up two travincal sorcs, so I can reroll without losing this semi-decent map.

Anyway I leveled her from 89 to 90 on it and it's very very tiring (but somehow fun) to play that kind of map. You are in constant danger of dying and so is your merc. Even a perfect Steelshade will only keep him alive for so long because in the Steelshade/Fortitude/Infinity Setup the Hydras won't heal him like Hellmouth/Rising Sun would heal you. My Steelshade is +8 absorb and it is definitely not like +10/11. Also no CBF yet. :confused:

I would definitvely give Gripphon a definitve edge in this round. Cham is not like Zod in terms of points and can't put you in top spot as easily as Zod could. That being said: If we all do our best he won't even make top 5 :D

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
7.5 hours to go. Rescheduling things planned for today to tomorrow. :D Ran a little wth Nova Sorc as well, though I’ll stick with Java for the remainder of the round. Almost forgot how much fun it is to play her and I’m happy with her efficiency.

For real what @T72on1 said. Efficiency doesn't win tournaments. Look at @Gripphon, he had super fast runs and even did 2 sets, and yet apparantly his score this round pissed him off so much that he went into 15s Trav rampage mode. ;) You need way above average luck with drops to win tournaments (or rounds), and that has very little to do with speed.

I said it elsewhere, but for me the fun in tournaments is to try and improve my own play. It's the only thing I can influence, everything else is just a side product. I'm not exactly on track to get a good score for this round, but I'm happy because I'm improving. (Not that I'm not complaining about drop quality, I definitely am. :p)

Babyhell

Diabloii.Net Member
@T72on1 @ffs yes you are right, but discovering that something can be done that fast can shock a bit ;) improvements are the infos to be gathered from that, like map seed systems, specific stuff optimization on the long run...#learning

And i fully support your points on RNG: in my case, the best drop of first set was on one of my worst run, not focused at all, and the other best drop of the second set was really close to be missed...wouldn't even ever think i could drop it at that time !